Edwards College, Cambridge: Grove Lodge
an old Roman road which runs NW out of Cambridge, towards
Huntingdon. Beside it, a small brick-built gatehouse accents
and enlivens the long concrete elevations of Murray Edwards
College, founded in 1954 as New Hall.
Originally belonging to 'The Grove'. where Emma Darwin spent
her winters after Charles's death. 'Grove Lodge' had become
derelict and by 2009 was close to demolition.
Saved at the last, it then became our task to repair and alter
it for use by five Fellows of the College. The open door leads
into a waiting area while, outside paving and soon new trees
and roses will make this place a creditable part of the famously
lovely college gardens.